Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Conditional "~ba" form

Conditional "~ba" form
The conditional "~ba" form of, "Sumeba miyako" is a conjunction, which indicates that the preceding clause expresses a condition. Here are some examples.
* Ame ga fureba, sanpo ni ikimasen. 雨が降れば、散歩に行きません。 --- If it rains, I won't go for a walk.
* Kono kusuri o nomeba, kitto yoku narimasu. この薬を飲めば、きっとよくなります。 --- If you take this medicine, you will get better for sure.
Let's study how to make the conditional "~ba" form
1. Replace the final "~u" with "~eba":
Iku 行く (to go) --- ikeba 
Hanasu 話す (to speak) --- hanaseba 
Miru 見る (to see) --- mireba 
Kiru 着る (to wear) --- kireba 
Taberu 食べる (to eat) --- tabereba 
Kuru 来る (to come) --- kureba 
Suru する (to do) --- sureba
  • I-adjective: Replace the final "~i" with "~kereba"
    Chiisai 小さい (small) --- chiisakereba
    Takai 高い (expensive) --- takakereba
  • Na- adjective: Replace "da" with "nara(ba)". The "ba" of "naraba" is often deleted.
    Yuumei da 有名だ (famous) --- yuumei nara(ba)
    Shizuka da 静かだ (quiet) --- shizuka nara(ba)
  • Be-verb: Replace the verb with "nara(ba)". The "ba" of "naraba" is often deleted.
    Amerika-jin da アメリカ人だ --- amerika-jin nara(ba)
    Gakusei da 学生だ --- gakusei nara(ba)
    The negative conditional means, "unless".
    * Anata ga ikanakereba, watashi mo ikimasen. あなたが行かなければ、私も行きません。 --- If you don't go, I won't go either.

    Here are some examples using the conditional "~ba" form.
    * Kono hon o yomeba, wakarimasu. この本を読めば、わかります。 --- If you read this book, you will understand.
    * Kuukou e wa kuruma de ikeba, nijuppun de tsukimasu. 空港へは車で行けば、二十分でつきます。 --- If you go by car, you can get to the airport in 20 minutes.
    * Mou sukoshi yasukereba, kaimasu. もう少し安ければ、買います。 --- I will buy it if it is a little bit cheaper.
    * Hayaku okinakereba, gakkou ni okuremasu yo. 早く起きなければ、学校に遅れますよ。 --- If you don't get up early, you will be late for school.
    * Okanemochi naraba, ano kuruma mo kaeru deshou. お金持ちならば、あの車も買えるでしょう。 --- If you are rich, you will be able to buy that car, too.
    Idiomatic Expression - "~ ba yokatta"
    There are some idiomatic expressions which use the conditional "~ba" form. The verb + "~ ba yokatta ~ばよかった" means, "I wish I had done so ~". "Yokatta" is informal past tense of the adjective "yoi (good)". This expression is often used with an exclamatory word such as "aa(oh)" and the sentence-ending particle "naa".
    * Kare to isshoni nihon ni ikeba yokatta. 彼と一緒に日本に行けばよかった。  --- I wish I had gone to Japan with him.
    * Sensei ni kikeba yokatta. 先生に聞けばよかった。 --- I wish I had asked my teacher.
    * Aa, motto tabereba yokatta naa. ああ、もっと食べればよかったなあ。 --- I wish I had eaten more.
    * Denwa shinakereba yokatta. 電話しなければよかった。 --- I wish I had not called.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment