Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Grammer - 'Ga'

GA (が)


   GA is another particle used in Japanese. This particle also has different uses depending on the sentence it is in. One of its uses is similar to WA but there are some differences. GA is used to,

   ● Emphasize what your speaking about

   ● Change the important part of sentence

   GA is also used in other grammatical ways but you will learn about these in another lesson. One good way to understand GA is to see different examples of how it can be used in sentences.


   If asked your name in Japanese you use the particle WA to answer.

   I am john = boku wa jon desu (僕はジョンです)


   If someone else asks you who is john, You would reply using the particle GA. The reason the sentences changes is because we need to know who is John. Ga puts emphasis on I/boku showing that it is I, that is john and not someone else.

   I am John = boku ga jon desu (僕がジョンです)


   Which particle you use depends on what you are trying to say, or what question has been asked to you. Here is another example using questions and answers to help you understand how to know which part you wish to emphasize.

   What do you think of Ken?
   ken wa kawaii desu (けんはかわいいです)

   Which person do you think is cute?
   ken ga kawaii desu (けんがかわいいです)



 no
 No (の) is the particle you use to show something that possesses something. It's used the same way as the English words of and the apostrophe s. It's also used when the noun you are talking about is modified by another noun, or is related.

   The city of Tokyo = toukyou no machi da (東京の町だ)

   Kevin's child = kebin-san no kodomo (ケビンさんの子ども)

   English book = eigo no hon (英語の本)

This particle also has another main use, In a wide variety of casual situations you can use the particle no (の) as a question mark.

   What are (you) eating? = nani taberu no? (何食べるの?) 




ganbaru 
apan is very encouraging society. One set phrase verb you can use in multiple situations is ganbaru (頑張る). This word can mean any of the following phrases.

   ● (I will) Try
   ● (I will) do best
   ● (I will) have good luck
   ● (I will) work hard
   ● (I will) Push through


   Like other verbs in Japanese it can be conjugated into different forms and used in a wide variety of situations.

   I have a test on Friday
   Do you best = ganbatte (頑張って)

   Can you fix my toy?
   I will try my best = ganbarimasu (頑張ります)

   I'm going to get ready for work now
   Do good at your job ok = shigoto ganbatte ne (仕事頑張ってね) 

No comments:

Post a Comment